ONEONTA GORGE

JULY 2016

ONEONTA FALLS


ONEONTA FALLS

ONEONTA FALLS

ONEONTA GORGE

Oneonta Gorge is beautiful 0.6-mile roundtrip hike through a river to a beautiful moss-covered waterfall. Because the hike is located along the Historic Columbia River Highway in-between the Multnomah Falls and Horsetail Falls trailheads, it receives a lot of visitors. As the trail is not advertised from the roadway, I only discovered it while hiking the trail to Triple Falls, which passes just above the canyon, and hearing voices coming from below. 

Because I was hiking the trail in July, I decided to get to the trailhead just before dawn in order to beat the crowds. It worked, as I had the entire gorge to myself. There is a log jam you will need to work your way over near the start of the hike, and then you will wade up the river to the falls. Most of the river is fairly shallow, however there was one chest-deep section to wade through just before the falls.